Curb appeal is the first impression friends, family and passersby have of our homes. For most of us, the front of our home is what greets us each time we arrive, whether at the end of a long day at work, or a fun day out playing! With regular maintenance, it is not overwhelming to keep our yards and gardens in tip top shape and make us look forward to coming home to our private sanctuary each day.
To make our homes inviting, warm and welcoming, there are a few relatively inexpensive updates that will make a world of difference:
- Keeping the grass cut and walkways, trees and bushes trimmed is the first step in looking clutter free
- Replacing mulch will add instant neatness and some color
- Touching up paint on shutters, eaves, doors and fences will make your house look instantly new again
- Clean or replace light fixtures. If they are outdated, painting them black is an inexpensive fix
- Replacing light bulbs will provide beauty, but more importantly safety at night
- Painting and cleaning up around the mailbox will make a statement
- A splash of color with some bright flowers can be added easily enough, even a couple of pretty pots on the front porch
- Pressure washing the walk and drive at the beginning of summer, then sweeping periodically keeps everything else looking tidy
- Wipe, sweep or wash front porch and door to remove any spiders or other unwanted guests
- Investing in a new front door mat will just make you feel happy
- Opening blinds and windows brightens a house from the outside as well as the inside
- Find a focal point, whether a fire pit, grill or outdoor kitchen. Arrange outdoor seating in an inviting, conversational area.
- Clean, paint or repair any fencing
- Without being cluttered, arrange yard decorations or decorative pots sparingly for a personal touch